Used properly, press releases are a powerful tool; they can make the difference between healthy traffic and no traffic at all. Any business that is struggling to find new customers by increasing their Web presence should consider issuing press releases. But let’s take a step back and first understand what it is.
A press release is a compelling news story that is issued to online media websites with the aim of bringing in added traffic. They are written in a specific format and should be submitted to specific websites. These websites then distribute them to thousands of other websites, increasing exposure and visibility. Some press release websites are free while some require a fee.
Benefits of using a press release
– A press release gets you in the news. Crafted properly, they can get you a lot of traffic; research shows that a press release that includes statistics, for instance, will get more views. If yours is really good, it will be passed on and you will get even more traffic.
– A press release gets you the links that you need. The format typically includes a link that people can click on and loop back to your website. Additionally, if you include keywords that you want to rank for, it can go a long way in helping your SEO.
– They give information about your company. It is more than just positive content about your business; journalists usually use them to check for facts and information. That is why it is recommended that you give as much information as possible when you put it online; include an attachment that has some statistics and even charts if you can.
– Press releases teach you how to refine your marketing message. In a few hundred words, you have to encapsulate what your company does and why you think anyone should buy from you. This is an important skill to pick up for future marketing.
Press release sites
The right press release sites are the ones that can get your press release into the right hands; these could be journalists or bloggers or even freelance writers. There are some free press release sites that are very effective. Whether you are paying a site or it is free, there are certain things you should be looking for.
– Look for a service that is in touch with journalists, bloggers, writers and reporters. This way, you know that it is going to the right people.
– Look at testimonials from other users of the service. How do they rate it? Did they get good results? Would they use the service again?
– Check how much they charge; there are some that charge way more than they should and have no results to show for it. Online marketers sometimes end up spending thousands of dollars on press releases without any significant increase in traffic.
– Look for additional services; some services have expert press release writers and e-books with tips on how to write a good one.
5 excellent free press release websites
There are about two dozen press release sites that are just as good as some of the paid services. Here are some of them. Note that the prices indicated here are as of the time of writing this and may change.
www.24-7pressrelease.com – This site is supported by ads and it allows both journalists and publishers.
www.888pressrelease.com – This one allows a free service, but you also have the paid options; you can choose packages ranging between $25 to $249. The graduated fee is an indication of who they will pass on your press release to.
www.i-newswire.com – This is one of the most popular press release sites. It has allows free submission but you can also pay – the packages range from $35 to $197. Again, the more you pay the more you get from your press release.
www.PR.com – This site does more than just distribute your press release for free; they let you set up your company profile which allows you to get more information out there.
www.clickpress.com – This one will get your press release out on sites like Google and Topicnet. They have a free submission service but they give you paid options as well.
Press release format
Before we wind up it is important to talk about the structure of a press release. Writing one is a little different from writing regular online articles. There are specific things that are required. A PR must appear like a news story which means that it has to talk about an event. It can be an announcement, an achievement or an endorsement or anything else that sounds like news.
The first thing that you do is assign a headline that is catchy and that will get a reader’s attention. Make it brief but telling. The body is where you talk about the event. It has to have the following: what happen (or is happening), when, where, and why. These sections are combined to come up with the body of the article. Additionally, you can talk about your company and your product or service in brief. Keep in mind that journalists typically don’t have a lot of time so keep things brief. An average of 500 words is recommended but you can go a little under or a little over.
If you don’t know or simply don’t want to write press releases yourself, let our team of professional writers write them for you… We indeed offer Press Release Writing Services on Green Light Articles: high quality, unique press releases on the topic(s) of your choice. Only a selection of our top writers are allowed to write press releases. They are required to closely follow directions so you can be sure they are written how they should be.